We Ain't Seen No Ozicks in These Here Parts

According to The Complete Review, a British reviewer thinks Cynthia Ozick, author of the acclaimed new novel Heir to the Glimmering World and the Pulitzer-winning Puttermesser Papers, is a "much-admired New Hampshire novelist".

I wish, for the sake of my home state, that this were true. But though I have spent most of my life here, and though I own most of Cynthia Ozick's books, I must, alas, admit that to the best of my knowledge she is not now nor has she ever been a New Hampshire novelist. Or a New Hampshire short story writer. Or a New Hampshire essayist.

If, however, Ms. Ozick would like to relocate to New Hampshire, I'm sure we would welcome here. There's much to like about the state -- we've got very few taxes, some of the drinking water is still actually drinkable, there are good mountains to climb up or ski down, every summer we host motorcycle week, and there's always the International Speedway, not to mention the fun of having every U.S. Presidential candidate come pretend they care about us every four years. We've got The Union Leader newspaper, once published by the charming and cuddly William Loeb. There's even the MacDowell Colony and my own hometown of Plymouth, where, in 1864, Nathanial Hawthorne died. What more could you want?!

Popular posts from this blog

"Stone Animals" by Kelly Link

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

The Penny Poet of Portsmouth by Katherine Towler

Reflections on Samuel Delany's Dark Reflections

What Belongs to You by Garth Greenwell

"Loot" by Nadine Gordimer

The Snowtown Murders